Re: Irony heaped on irony (packaging and schemas)

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 07:32:16 -0500
To: haustein@kimo.cs.uni-dortmund.de
CC: xml-dev@xml.org, xml-uri@w3.org
Stefan Haustein wrote:
[...]
> > I think that on the contrary, it's important that the schema spec
> > leads the way toward the self-describing web.
>
> I think most of us just need some nice DTD replacement
> including packaging. Why don't you try a layered approach
> and build more advanced features later on top of something
> more simple?

Could you sketch an example of what that would look like?

I suspect what you're talking about can done with some
combination of XML Schema, XLink, and RDF, but I don't
think I have a good handle on what folks mean by "packaging"
so I'd like to look at a specific, if hypothetical, example.

I anticipate an objection along the lines of "I don't
want to depend on schemas for this... schemas are too complex"
and I can sympathize with complaints about the complexity
of schemas... but I suspect it should be simple to
ignore the parts of schemas you're not interested in.

Anyway... if you can just cook up an example... or maybe
3 examples: a dead-simple one and two examples showing
a few wrinkles, it would probably help me get my head
around "packaging".