Re: Terminology: `absolutization' is vile

At 12:18 PM 5/18/00 -0400, Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
>The term `absolutization' seems to have crept into these discussions.   It's
>not used in RFC2396, which speaks of ``Resolving Relative References to
>Absolute Form''.   Am I the only one whose sense of literate English is
>offended?   I'd suggest calling the process either `resolution' or `anchoring'
>(another possibility is `docking', which has for me the image of fitting a
>relative URI to its base as a ferry is docked to its slip).

Officially the right term is "resolution."  But in normal usage, I
find this ambiguous; it could be taken to mean retrieval too (and
officially, the latter is supposed to be "access," which isn't
quite parallel with "resolution" in normal usage).  As I've said
in other forums, I favor "granting absolution." :-)

         Eve
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    elm @ east.sun.com