RE: Toward the self-describing web [was: Irony heaped on irony]

From: Frank Richards <frichards@poet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 11:36:08 -0400
To: <xml-uri@w3.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Connolly [mailto:connolly@w3.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2000 9:00 AM
To: Simon St.Laurent
Cc: xml-dev@xml.org; xml-uri@w3.org
Subject: Toward the self-describing web [was: Irony heaped on irony]

[SNIP]

I think that sentence gets exploited to suggest that it's OK
to use http://example.org/foo as a namespace name and then
allow 404s for requests to that address, and so we should
take it out if/when we next revise the Namespace spec.

It's perfectly reasonable to use
        mid:23lk4j23lk4j
or
        uuid:2l3kj23l4k
as a namespace name to relieve yourself the burden of running
an HTTP server, very well. But if you use http to identify
a resource, you set an expectation that you'll service
that address on demand.
<<<

Dan,

I would like to agree with you, but what I got from the namespace brouhaha
was that that expectation is "officially" unreasonable.

Frank