Re: Use cases

Michael Rys wrote:

> >Is there a local Microsoft XML weenie here?
>
> There are several Microsoft XML people here. <grumble>Should I get offended,
> or not?</grumble>

<placate>As the person who first used this language, please don't.</placate>

> The issue is not really an MS issue. The issue is that a relatively old rec
> exists that requires literal interpretation of namespaces for equality. Any
> change to this interpretation, in particular introducing additional
> processing of namespace uris to determine equality will break current
> documents and their processing. While we as tool implementors have control
> over the tools we write, we do not have control over our customers'
> documents.

I think this is the fundamentally compelling argument for the "literal"
interpretation.  Customers have relied on the Namespace Rec in good faith
in creating their documents.  (More precisely, tools vendors who relied on
it in good faith have made it easy for customers to create such documents.)

> In general retroactive spec changes would be acceptable "if possible",
> namely:
>
> 1. retroactive changes have virtually no impact on the conformance of
> existing documents (e.g. loosen constraints, not tighten),
> 2. retroactive changes can be introduced by vendors with minimal customer
> disruption,
> 3. that changes larger than these employ a versioning mechanism,
> 4. that a new version have compelling feature benefits to drive adoption by
> vendors and customers.
>
> In the specific case being considered, none of these conditions appear to
> obtain, and thus changes to the NS recommendation should not be considered
> as a possible option.

Just so. (Again, this does not mean that I back the "literal" position, but
I want to see it well-defended.)

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>