A thought about relative URI comparison

From: David G. Durand <david@dynamicdiagrams.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 16:29:19 -0400
To: <xml-uri@w3.org>
Since the Namespace specification does not specify _what_ base URI
should be used, it would be possible to say that namespaces are
always resolved relative to the empty string.

As I understand the normalization algorithm, this is close (but not
identical) to the "literal comparison" option. It's not identical
because this would mean that occurrences of ../ would be deleted in
certain circumstances. Further it would make leading ../ formally
illegal, though permissible.

I believe that this could be folded into XML Base as part of the
definition of the Base URI for a namespace.

I'm not really suggesting that this is a good solution; rather, I
think it's interesting that one could substantially get the effect of
string-based comparison, while nominally preserving a "relative URI"
interpretation.

   -- David
http://cs-people.bu.edu//dgd/             \  Chief Technical Officer
     Graduate Student no more!              \  Dynamic Diagrams