Re: Rules for absolutizing: was Re: Are *relative* URIs as namespace nemes considered harmful?

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 14:49:38 -0400
To: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
CC: xml-uri@w3.org
Jonathan Borden wrote:

>     I suppose the real question is what rules ought be applied to transform
> a relative uri into an absolute uri:

RFC 2396 defines them once and for all, except that there is an extension
mechanism for things like the HTML BASE element or the proposed xml:base.
Every Web resource has a base URI, which by default is the URI of the
document itself.

> a) ought the parent element's namespace be used as the base uri?

No, unless the base URI has been changed to the parent element's namespace
using one of the escape mechanisms.

> b) or rather does one consider the document *location* uri the base uri?

Yes, usually.

See http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt, which spells it out in detail.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>