Re: Are *relative* URIs as namespace nemes considered harmful?

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 13:32:21 -0400
To: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
cc: "xml-uri@w3.org" <xml-uri@w3.org>
Posted an explanation of the problem to the list, as a reply to Tim Bray's
note since one of his quotes from the Namespace spec provides the key pivot
point.

Relative URIs are a fine thing when you want them to resolve differently as
you move a group of files from place to place. But namespace names do not
want that behavior; the expanded name {nsuri}localname wants to stay
_stable_ as the document is relocated. The very things that make relative
URIs a great tool for document-to-document links make them a bad choice for
document-to-semantic binding.

And now, I really am going to try to shaddup unless someone requests
further clarification or I can find something new to say on the topic.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research