RE: Banning relative - No real damage?

Please note that the relative schema references (XDR and not XSD) are
expressed using an absolute URI that conveys relative resolution semantics
(using the x-schema "protocol").

The only point where we use relative namespaces are for XSLT function
extensions. However, there the namespace is just used for identity and could
be anything. Also, I do not think that they are generated from our tools.

Somebody showed an example of the extension mechanism earlier [1]:

                xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt"
                xmlns:user="http://mycompany.com/mynamespace"
                version="1.0">
  <msxsl:script language="JScript" implements-prefix="user">
    function xml(nodelist) {
      return nodelist.nextNode().xml;
    }
  </msxsl:script>

  <xsl:template match="/">
    <xsl:value-of select="user:xml(.)"/>
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Here the user prefix is bound to an absolute namespace, but it could be
bound to a relative one. It is up to the author of the stylesheet to decide.

So the issue (as I repeat here for the 5th time at least) is not our tools
but more that people that use our and other people's tools may have used
relative namespaces in documents based on the literal interpretation and
built corresponding tools since all tools out there provide for literal
interpretation (more so than absolutization). As our mail today indicate, we
however assume that this currently constitutes a very small amount of cases.

As to your question below: We are still listening (however Jonathan is on
well-deserved vacation and I am catching up, having been at a W3C meeting).
We certainly still care and were internally looking for solutions to this
problem. A proposed solution has been forwarded by David Turner earlier
today.

My apologies if we look mostly silent, but we just do not have the bandwidth
to indulge in 100+ mails/day discussions. We will however post factual
information and corrections such I tried to do in this mail and make
constructive proposals that we can live with.

Best regards
Michael