Re: Common Sense! Was: Re: The 'resource' identified by a namespace name URI should be the namespace

On Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 03:29:28PM -0400, Clark C. Evans wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jun 100, John Cowan wrote:
> > I agree that the relationship is one-one (and even onto), but I deny
> > that it amounts to identity.  Confounding the namespace with the document
> > that describes it is a map-territory error.
>
> Right on.   We are identifying a namespace resource!  We are
> not identifying a hypertext resources which describes a
> given namespace -- this is a seperate problem entirely.
>
> It is unforunate that the current spec allows this;
> I now agree that the xmlns attribval *should* be a URI,
> (Tim has convinced me of this much)... However, I think
> it should not be any old URI from any old scheme.  Fellas,
> we need a URI scheme specifically for namespaces.
> Let's deprechiate duck quacking.

I could go for this except that I would suggest a URN since it is
required to have some of the qualities you want. The other
qualities (injectiveness) comes from the URI space itself...

Figure out a GUID type scheme (don't use MAC addresses) and register
a URN namespace...

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821