Re: FW: Re: rsa/oaep

Hi Donald,

This still doesn't address the fact that EME-OAEP-ENCODE and MGF1
each use a message digest algorithm. RFC 2437 specifies these message
digest algorithm independently. Are we collapsing them into one? If
RFC 2437 specifies them independently, I'm not sure why we would choose
to do things differently. I'd also question making the digest method
mandatory. If the default in RFC 2437 is SHA-1, then would that not be
a sensible default for us, too?

Also, it doesn't address where the "p" of "mgf1p" comes from?

If we wanted to be completely general, I'd encode things as follows:

<EncryptionMethod Algorithm="&enc;rsa-oaep">
  <DigestMethod Algorithm="..." /> <!-- optional, default SHA-1 -->
  <OAEPMaskGenerator Algorithm="..."> <!-- optional, default MGF1/SHA-1 -->
    <DigestMethod Algorithm="..." />
  </OAEPMaskGenerator>
  <OAEPParams /> <!-- optional, default empty octet string -->
</EncryptionMethod>

This would mirror RFC 2437, which is what we are referencing.

An alternative, closer to what we have would be:

<EncryptionMethod Algorithm="&enc;rsa-oaep-sha1-mgf1-sha1">
  <OAEPParams /> <!-- optional, default empty octet string -->
</EncryptionMethod>

Our present encoding takes some of the parameters (the mask generator)
and places them in the URI, leaves some as parameters and merges some,
which I think complicates matters.

Merlin

r/Donald.Eastlake@motorola.com/2002.03.06/11:37:28

computer viruses.