Re: Suggestions for requirements ...

At 15:36 10/22/2000 -0700, Steve Wiley wrote:
>Attached is a short paper regarding our experiences with XML encryption.

Thanks for the well thought out requirements. Two questions:

>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-encryption/2000Oct/att-0011/01-myproof-xml-encryption-position.html#Nested
>Encryption
>It is possible that a user may want to apply selective or full encryption
>to a target document that has already had some selective encryption applied

Is this requirement is in opposition to your detached document requirement
which asks that the original tags not be altered. So basically, one should
have the option not to change the original tag structure?

>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-encryption/2000Oct/att-0011/01-myproof-xml-encryption-position.html#Mutiple
>Encryptions

What exactly do you mean by an encryption/decryption protocol [1]?

I expect we'll define a
1) syntax for representing decrypted information and the (optional?)
information that can be used to decrypt it
2) process for encrypting data into the representation syntax, and a process
for decrypting it, but no "protocol" in my understanding [1,2] ...?

http://www.landfield.com/rfcs/rfc2828.html
    $ protocol
       (I) A set of rules (i.e., formats and procedures) to implement and
       control some type of association (e.g., communication) between
       systems. (E.g., see: Internet Protocol.)
       (C) In particular, a series of ordered steps involving computing
       and communication that are performed by two or more system
       entities to achieve a joint objective. [A9042]

__
Joseph Reagle Jr.