Re: Problem: How to encrypt nodes without breaking parsers

At 08:07 PM 10/2/2000 +0900, Takeshi Imamura wrote:
>Hello Steve,
>
>Thank you for your suggestion.  I think your idea is really good and I would
>like to incorporate it into our spec.

Great!  Thanks for looking into it.

>By the way, I heard there was a discussion on the validity of HTML/XML,
>that is,
>how applications should work when detecting unknown vocabularies, and it
>reached
>a consensus that unknown attributes (and resultant error messages) may be
>ignored.  Considering this, adding an ID attribute to an element to be
>encrypted
>and not changing its content model may not be so serious.

Yes, that is good news.  I am glad we can have that as a backup
solution.  The XPAth
solution works best for us.  We try at all costs to avoid altering a
customer XML schema.
The ID attribute seems rather safe to add but there may already be an ID
attr.  In that case
we would have to map to the preexisting ID's.  This isn't too bad but it
complicates the
application. You would also have to account for the possibility of ID's
with duplicate values.
Which, again, is not that hard to deal with.  Very unlikely, but the
customer could change
the ID values without breaking the validity of the document but it would
surely break our
application.  So, the XPath solution seems to be the safest and easiest
solution for us.

With the XPath addition, the specification meets all our needs.  I'll keep
you posted if
there are any further developments.

Thanks again,
Steve