Fw: SOAP 1.1 One-way HTTP Binding doc

I think that this issue from ws-a wg has relevance to our work on the
binding,

In reviewing the current text and tables in part 2, it isn't clear to me
that there is
an established and well defined relationship between the request and
response
messages with regards to the SOAP processing model.

e.g. it doesn't say anywhere whether the SOAP processing as described
in part 1 sect 2.6 MUST be performed BEFORE the "response message"
in the Request Response MEP is made available in the outputMessage
property.

As I indicated in my response to Marc on the ws-a list, I think that at a
minimum, any response, whether SOAPy or not, should be made only
AFTER steps 1, 2 and 3 as defined in section 2.6 of part 1 have been
completed so that any mU faults can be transmitted even if the actual
processing of the headers (and the body) are to be deferred.

Thoughts?

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=440
phone: +1 508 377 9295
----- Forwarded by Christopher B Ferris/Waltham/IBM on 01/31/2006 12:49 PM
-----

public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org wrote on 01/31/2006 11:53:27 AM:

> Marc,
>
> Good question.
>
> Given that a 202 response is not related to the *processing* of the
> request message, one could
> conclude that any SOAP envelope carried in the 202 Accepted response
> might not necessarily
> have a relationship with the request message at all. However, given
> what Mark observed, I suspect
> that we might do well to specify that at a minimum, the SOAP
> processing w/r/t SOAP headers
> MUST be performed before any response is generated, so as to ensure
> that if a mU fault
> is generated, it can be transmitted on the HTTP response (with a 500).
>
> So, my inclination would be (b)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christopher Ferris
> STSM, Emerging e-business Industry Architecture
> email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
> blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=440
> phone: +1 508 377 9295
>
> public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org wrote on 01/31/2006 10:22:51 AM:
>

> > Mark Baker wrote:
I'm
> but I'm not
> > >
> > > It's still a response, just not the result of processing the
request.

> > > So if you took a SOAP envelope and sent it as an HTTP response with
> > > 202 code, it would mean something entirely different than if sent
back
> > > with a 200 code... in the same way that a SOAP fault sent with 200
> > > means something entirely different than a SOAP fault
> > >
> > Right, this chimes with my comments on the call last night. The
envelope
> > returned in the HTTP 202 response is something other than a reply to
the
> > envelope sent in the HTTP request. The question I'm struggling with is

> > whether one can assume that the SOAP processing rules have been
followed
> > on the request envelope prior to the response envelope being returned
or
> > not ? E.g. if I include WS-Addr header blocks in the request envelope,

> > can I assume that the 202 response envelope will contain the expected
> > WS-Addr header blocks (e.g. relationship(msgid)). If the SOAP
processing
> > rules haven't been followed then what process lead to the generation
of
> > the 202 response envelope ? We've been using WS-RX as a use case but,
> > AFAIK, WS-RX uses header blocks and relies on the SOAP processing
model
> > too so are we inventing a new two-stage SOAP processing model or what
?

> > In a nutshell, I think we need to decide whether the 202 response
> > envelope is returned:
> >
> > (a) Before SOAP header block and SOAP Body processing, or
> > (b) After SOAP header block processing but before SOAP Body
processing, or
> > (c) (for completeness although this seems to contradict the 'Accepted'

> > semantics of HTTP 202) After SOAP header block and SOAP Body
processing.

> > Thoughts ?
> >
> > Marc.

> > something besides
> > message consists
> really carrying
> hand, if 202
> > >
> > > Just what it says in the HTTP spec.

> the SOAP stack
> > >
> > > 202, like 200, is a symbol with application layer semantics, and as
> > > such, it should be exposed to the application (plus the SOAP 1.2
HTTP