Re: Response envelope optional vs. response optional

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
> I think I'm coming close to a position on MEPs that I can personally
> support, and perhaps that IBM will formally endorse.
>
> In considering this discussion, it's slowly occurred to me that there is a
> crucial difference between making the response envelope optional, and
> making the whole response optional.   In the former case, you get an
> explicit confirmation from server back to client that there will in fact
> be no envelope.  In the case that the response as a whole is optional, or
> in one way, the client never hears back "ok, we're done".   This
> difference is important.  When you have a connection-oriented
> request/response underlying protocol such as HTTP, it's essential that the
> responding application at some explicit point in time either send a
> response or otherwise terminate the connection;  in the case of HTTP in
> particular we will likely do this by deciding to send a 202, though Chris
> suggests that 204 may be useful at times.  With a true one way, you
> wouldn't even know where to send that indication.

+1

> With that background, here's the position that currently seems most
> attractive to me:
>
> * Modify the current request/response binding to state that the inclusion
> of an envelope in the response is optional (but not that the response as a
> whole is optional, in the sense discussed above.)
>
> * Modify the HTTP binding to make clear which status codes (presumably 202
> and maybe 204) map to the "no envelope response".

This makes the name of the SOAP MEP a misnomer. As DavidH calls it: a
cheese sandwich with no bread.
The Request-response MEP consists of a Request SOAP env and a Response
SOAP env.
Either we have to rename the SOAP MEP or specify how the Response SOAP
env may be delivered (using a different HTTP connection) when the
202/204 status is used.