Re: SOAP MIME Type

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 05:08:57PM -0400, John Kemp wrote:
> 1) It would be possible to define the type so as to clearly not
> preclude the sending of SOAP 1.1 envelopes with that MIME type

The media type is specifically for SOAP 1.2 envelopes serialized with
XML, and SOAP 1.1 envelopes are not valid SOAP 1.2 envelopes.  I would
strongly recommend that it not be used for 1.1 envelopes.

Would language to that effect in the registration address your concern?
What does the WG think?  Personally, I can understand that this may be a
point of confusion.

> And if not,
>
> 2) What is the strategy for future versions of SOAP - will future
> versions use a new MIME type each time, or will they continue to use
> that defined in the SOAP 1.2 specification?

As long as future versions remain backwards compatible with 1.2, then
the application/soap+xml media type should be reusable.

MB