Re: SOAP MIME Type

Rich,

See responses inline:

On Wednesday, May 7, 2003, at 18:48 US/Eastern, Rich Salz wrote:

> On Wed, 7 May 2003, John Kemp wrote:
>> I gather that only SOAP 1.2 envelopes may carry the
>> application/soap+xml MIME type, and I was wondering if:
>
> I don't think that's quite right.  The MIME type says "use this for
> 1.2"
> it doesn't say "you can't use it for 1.1" just like it doesn't say
> "you can't
> use it for target practice."

I agree that this not explicitly stated, which is why I had originally
requested clarification from the authors of the MIME type draft, and
was told that it was meant for 1.2 envelopes only, and that they
thought it might be necessary to clarify that point in the
specification as it was apparently not clear.

>> 1) It would be possible to define the type so as to clearly not
>> preclude the sending of SOAP 1.1 envelopes with that MIME type
>
> Well, that would be up to SOAP 1.1 and its HTTP binding, not
> the MIME type declaration...
>
> Less flippantly, since you're defining a new way of using SOAP over
> HTTP, you're quite free to use whatever MIME types you want.

Thank you. What we'd like to do is have our specification normatively
refer to SOAP 1.1, but in addition, we have the following rules noted,
pertaining to use of media types:

<excerpt>
Conforming applications of this binding

1. MUST be capable of sending and receiving messages serialized using
media type "application/soap+xml" whose
proper use and parameters are described in "The application/soap+xml
Media Type". 98
2.MAY, when sending requests, provide an HTTP Accept header field. This
header field 99
100
a. SHOULD indicate an ability to accept at minimum
"application/soap+xml" 101
b.MAY additionally indicate willingness to accept other media types 102
</excerpt>

Additionally, if the MIME type *were* available for target practice,
I'm sure we could add a rule about that too.

> BTW, if the SOAP request is the HTTP response, then where's the SOAP
> response go?

In the HTTP request, obviously ;)

- - JohnK

John Kemp / john.kemp@ieee-isto.org
(+1) 413.458.9053    /    frumioj@AOL
Coordinating Editor   /   Project Liberty