Re: PASWA, Include and Protocol Bindings

On Monday, May 5, 2003, at 20:36 US/Eastern, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
wrote:

> My key point is:  I don't want the applications to see the Include.
> Indeed, my understand of PASWA is that the whole point is that
> "attachments" are modeled by value as children.  It's not the doInclude
> that bothers me, as I said, it's the xbinc:Include element.  That
> violates
> the whole notion that PASWA models things by value.  I think it also
> raises many, many architectural complexities.   Does a signature sign
> the
> child data or the include element?  Indeed, one of the claimed
> benefits of
> PASWA (and it's one I quite like) is that the infoset can be carried by
> bindings that don't play tricks:  our own HTTP binding can send the
> character children.

I find the implications of the above rather disturbing. My mental model
of PASWA was of 'logical' inclusion rather than 'actual' inclusion. If
the Include mechanism is only a matter for the binding then, unless we
introduce the notion of a BII (binary information item), bindings that
support attachments will be forced to base64 or hex encode the contents
of those attachments prior to passing them on to the 'SOAP layer'. Such
a requirement would seriously impact any performance advantage gained
from using attachments rather than inline serialization.

Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>