Re: The reason for roots?

 Gudge,
 the problem is that in SOAP 1.1 serialization rules would say
that C must be serialized "as an independent element on top level
of serialization" because it has multiple references to it.
 In SOAP 1.2 we haven't forbidden this, although we don't talk
about this any more (so if somebody started from reading SOAP
1.2, they would not even think of serializing something
out-of-line).
 Now if non-roots (non-serialization-roots, that is) can be
anywhere in the message, not just as descendant EIIs of a
serialization root, we have to mark some of them. SOAP 1.1 took
the approach of marking the non-roots that appear somewhere
funky, but this was not crisp enough. So we can either mandate
marking the roots or the non-roots. We chose roots.
 Oh, BTW, I thought my graph below has two roots (according to
your original definition), not zero.
 Best regards,

                   http://www.systinet.com/