Re: Web-friendly SOAP

"Hurley, Oisin" wrote:

> >I would like to see future SOAP toolkits have first-class support for
> >mapping logical objects to URIs as HTTP toolkits do.
>
> Object references anybody? ;)

It depends on what you call an "object". But yes, references!

The uncomfortable truth is that references are the basis of the whole
Web. That doesn't mean we need to drag in distributed GC or anything
complex. Addressing can be at the protocol level without moving lifetime
management down to the protocol level.

> So, do you think a URI-mapped
> 'logical object' can be a web service too?

I don't have a concrete definition for "web service" so I'm having
trouble answering the question. I think of a web service as an
arbitrarily grouped set of resources intended for machine (not human)
manipulation, as a "web site" is an arbitrarily grouped set of resources
intended for human manipulation. Basically if you take a bunch of
resources and say that they are a web service (perhaps using WSDL or
prose) then they are!

 Paul Prescod