Re: Section 5 vs Schema

 Gudge,
 I think we have four options for answering your question:

 1) Stick with schema, in which case I think we might want to
define a normative binding of our implied data schema language
(for describing structures in our data model) into XML Schema
(and IMHO this would be helpful for instance in WSDL).
 2) Remove schema, use some well-known programming language like
C to describe the structures, in which case I think we might want
to define a normative binding of our implied data schema language
into that programming language (but I think it is unnecessary).
 3) Remove schema, define our (so far implied) data schema
language in XML.
 4) Remove any data schemas from our examples and define the data
in narrative.

 The option 3 would IMHO be the best solution in terms of clarity
of the spec, completeness of the Encoding/Data model spec tuple,
it would be useful in the RPC section, it could be used in WSDL
etc.
 On the other hand it would be some work and YAXL (yet another
XML language) etc.

 For practical reasons I prefer option 2 without any normative
binding, closely followed by 4. Remember, this is only an issue
with the examples of encoded data, not with the normative parts
of the Encoding section (assuming of course that examples are
non-normative).
 We might move the examples into the Primer, but then the
Encoding section would be left example-less.

 Best regards,

                   http://www.systinet.com/