Re: IDREF vs HREF for graph edges in SOAP encoding

+1.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

Jacek Kopecky <jacek@systinet.com>
Sent by: xml-dist-app-request@w3.org
01/18/02 04:13 AM

        To:     Martin Gudgin <marting@develop.com>
        cc:     Christopher Ferris <chris.ferris@sun.com>, Marc Hadley
<marc.hadley@sun.com>, XML dist app <xml-dist-app@w3c.org>,
<xml-dist-app@w3.org>
        Subject:        Re: IDREF vs HREF for graph edges in SOAP encoding

 Gudge,
 as I expressed before it is my opinion that you don't require
XML Schema processing if you just specify that every application
built according to the Encoding spec will treat the attributes
with local names id and idref (or whatever, just 'ref' will be
proposed in the rewrite for IDREF) as typed ID and IDREF. You
see, the DTD/Schema equivalent may be built in and therefore no
actual DTD/Schema processing is required.
 It is a problem of the current XML libraries that they require
DTD/Schema to be able to assign types to attributes and act
accordingly, but this does not matter for the function of the
application (it's just the minor inconvenience of being unable to
call getElementByID() or something).
 Best regards,

                   http://www.systinet.com/

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Martin Gudgin wrote:

> [...]
DTD/schema