Re: why no doc type declaration and PIs in SOAP?

Jacek Kopecky wrote:

>  I couldn't find it in archives (because the search engine
> returned nothing at all), so I'll ask:
>  What are the reasons for disallowing document type declaration
> and processing instructions in SOAP? Will we keep the
> restrictions in SOAP version 1.2? As it is now, SOAP grammar is a
> subset of XML.

We discussed this at the recent F2F in relation to issue 4 which raises
the question of what a receiver should do on receipt of a message
containing a PI or DTD. I have an pending action to re-raise this issue
- consider it raised !

There seems to be two opinions on the subject of DTDs and PIs:

(i) Allowing them increases complexity and doesn't bring any particular
benefit, the only compelling argument for allowing PIs was so that a
stylesheet could be associated with a message for human viewing.

(ii) Adding them doesn't add much to the complexity, they are part of
XML so we should allow them.

My original suggestion for resolution of issue 4 was to retain their
current status (i.e. not allowed) and add text requiring a SOAP
processor to generate a fault when a message containing one was received.

Others felt that if present they should be ignored but this might prove
difficult in the case of DTDs with current parsers.

Discussion ?

Regards,
Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
XML Technology Centre, Sun Microsystems.