Re: SOAP concerns

Roger,

SOAP doesn't mandate what can go in the SOAP Body at all. It leaves
that to the imagination of the developer of the service. SOAP *does*
describe an RPC mechanism, but that is not the exclusive use of
the SOAP:Body, just one approach.

The observation you make regarding the onionesque aspect of
SOAP over some protocol such as HTTP is quite accurate. However,
just as HTTP provides an extension capability (you can add your
own custom HTTP headers) SOAP allows you to define your own
SOAP headers which are namespace qualified and it provides
a processing model that defines how these (and the SOAP Body
which is really just a special type of header... syntactic
sugar is the term that has been used to describe the distinction
between a SOAP header block and the SOAP Body).

Your example of an XSLT application of SOAP is perfectly valid
even though it doesn't follow the RPC convention because the RPC
convention is NOT the ONLY valid use of SOAP.

Cheers,

Chris