From: Jacek Kopecky [mailto:jacek@systinet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 4:14 AM
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Subject: proposed resolution to issues #159 and #166 - encodingStyle

 Hi all. 8-)
 The ETF proposes the following resolution to the issues 159 and
166, both dealing with the type of the encodingStyle attribute
being a list of URIs identifying encoding styles in the order
from the most specific to the least specific.

 The proposal is to make the attribute be of type anyURI and
indicate a single style.

 Motivation:
 For the discussion that resulted in this you can see [1] and the
resulting thread. The participants in the thread generally seemed
to agree that the presented resolution is the way to go,
especially since nobody was able to bring up a valid scenario for
using more than a single value of the attribute.
 The two examples brought up in the thread both were about
multiple _different_ encodings in one message which is handled by
the encodingStyle attribute scoping.
 Also, no real-world usage of multiple values in one
encodingStyle attribute was demonstrated, nor conceived by the
participants in the thread.
 If we wanted to keep the status quo, we would need to specify
what "most specific to least specific" means with respect to
encoding styles and this would unnecessarily complicate the spec.
 Best regards

                   http://www.systinet.com/

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2001Oct/0330.html