Re: Issue 146 proposed resolution

We agree. There are scenarios such as the one you illustrate in which
skipping an intermediary, or misconfiguaring software to not do required
processing (getAuthorization), can have dangerous consequences.  Core SOAP
doesn't handle it:  extensions can.

There are also equally important scenarios in which data can be tampered
with, or disclosed to those who shouldn't see it.  Core soap doesn't check
it, extensions can.    Likewise for various flavors of transaction.
Likewise for routing, which is surely related to mustHappen.  You surely
wouldn't fire weapons without trustworth encryption and tamperproofing for
the message;  after all, what if someone turned off your mU bit on
getAuthorization?  What if the wrong node claimed to have given you
authorization.  We rely on extensions for all of those protections.  Why
is mustHappen special?  Furthermore, if you go back to the original
discussion, I pointed out that to work right, mustHappen must be checked
at each step in the path, not just at the end (it may not be safe to
process even getAuthorization if the checkSignature header that was
supposed to come ahead of it was missed).  Using mU for this purpose
doesn't seem to work.

All of these features are important.  Core SOAP can't do any of them.
That's been the SOAP philospophy:   put as many of these higher level
capabilities as possible in layered specifications.  I'm comfortable with
that tradeoff, and you're obviously not, at least for mustHappen.  Of
course, the workgroup can reopen any decisions up until the point we
freeze the specification, but I really do feel that this issue was
considered quite explicitly and in some detail.  I don't see any new
factors that we didn't consider the first time around, but I may be
missing something.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

"Doug Davis" <dug@us.ibm.com>