Re: Proposal for hierarchical fault codes

I have a simple question: do these hierarchical fault codes have any
well-defined semantics? Could I express a stack trace with them? Could I
also just present the same error in 5 languages? Could I express failure
with possibility for retry vs. failure with no retry? Is there any way
of telling which of these things I chose? It seems to me that this is
quite complex and that, at least, Rich's suggestion of making the first
value element something "official" would help make it manageable in
practice.

FTP and HTTP also have (limited) hierarchical fault codes, but the
semantics are very well-defined. I'm no expert, but this seems to have
worked well in practice. Is this the model? Well, back to lurking..

-- Dan