Re: benchmarking SOAP?

Mark Nottingham wrote:

> Are there any efforts under way to benchmark SOAP implementations?
> I've seen a number of people asking about it, and also some FUD
> (gudge knows what I'm talking about ;) about SOAP performance out
> there, so it would be good for SOAP to be able to represent itself
> well.

hi,

we are very interested in SOAP/XML performance (especially for
RMI/distributed component communication) so we have written a paper about
it, see:

  http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/soap/index.html#perf

as part of this paper we have written a test framework that included
testing serialization/deserialization, size overhead and round-trip
performance and made available at:

  http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/soap/sc00-tests/

i have also performed a simple benchmark of different XML parsers over a
set of SOAP messages (small 2.7K, middle size 27K and big 2.7M) and did
some evaluations - results and source code available at:

  http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/~aslom/exxp/

i am working on second version of this benchmark with updated list of
parsers and i welcome all comments about it.

thanks,

alek