Re: Processing which is not triggered by blocks?

Definately. Such nodes aren't targetted as SOAP intermediaries
(instead using mechanisms out-of-message to determine targetting),
but they can still process messages. As such, they aren't SOAP
intermediaries, but they still may perform SOAP processing.

You bring up a good point, in that we need to assure that faults and
other mechanisms that touch such intermediaries can still
interoperate correctly.

For example:

Akamai might have a customer which wishes to direct SOAP messages
through our network, to add services (caching, non-repudiation,
whatever). However, they don't want to specifically call out the
Akamai intermediary in messages from the client; perhaps they want
the flexibility to swap us out, or they don't want it to be known
that they're using us, or there's other information they don't want
the client to see.

So, they can manipulate their DNS records for the SOAP server to
point (and therefore route) to our servers, without changing the
client implementations. Furthermore, we can use our own, out-of-band
metadata to determine when to apply processing.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/