From: Mark A. Jones [mailto:jones@research.att.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 6:31 AM
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Subject: RE: Binary attachments to XP

RE: Binary attachments to XP

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 01:46:25 -0500 (EST)
From: "Larry Masinter" <LMM@acm.org>
To: "Frank DeRose" <frankd@tibco.com>, "Mark A. Jones"
<jones@research.att.com>
Cc: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

For some applications, MIME multipart is not adequate, because it makes
it necessary that both the sender and the receiver be able to buffer
arbitrary amounts of data.

There's a reason why web clients open multiple HTTP connections.
And while one can imagine GET transactions being multiplexed over
multiple connections, there's no way to use multiple connections
to POST multiple parts of the same request.

Either you need a bi-directional multiplexing protocol (e.g., BXXP),
or else some kind of packaging that allows interleaving of chunks of
parts (e.g., that would allow you to send the embedded image data in
chunks in between two chunks of XML data.

Larry,

I have thought a bit about these same issues and I agree that there are
cases
that seem to require an interleaving of chunks of data and XML data to avoid

buffering arbitrary amounts of data.  We also have draft scenarios in which
we
want to support fire-and-forget types of clients, so interleaving would be
preferable
to the BXXP-style solution.  Since we also seem to be chartered to use
existing
solutions, do you know of any?

Mark A. Jones
AT&T Labs - Research