Re: [DS4] Remote Procedure Call (RPC) - revised

john_ibbotson@uk.ibm.com wrote:

> DS4  A receiving server offers a service which may be invoked
> programmatically by a sender. The
>                 sender invokes the service by setting parameters in a local
> object whose properties are then
>      serialised into a message for transmission to the receiving server.
> The receiving server
>                 deserialises the message and invokes the service. The
> results of the service are then
>      returned to the sender as a serialised response. An example of a
> sender's invocation may
>                 be price = getStockQuote("ORCL",  "1/1/97").

As is, that wording seems to be specifying a solution, not something
from which we can extract requirements.

One possible use case would be that the stock quote is already available
via RPC (maybe CORBA), and we want to be able to wrap that with XP/RPC.
I'm sure there are others.

MB