Re: Integrating XP Into Web Infrastructure

Aaron Swartz wrote:

> Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Extracting the information from the HTML would be pretty tedious, though, and
> > prone to breaking.  Eventually you would want a generic sort of technique that
> > service providers and developers could all count on so that each "hookup"
> > wouldn't have to be negotiated individually.  At that point you would just
> > invent XML-RPC :-)
>
> Or just plain XML? Or plain text? We can still make HTTP GET requests for
> XML, you know. ;-)

Amen!

> > So SOAP will often be used for synchronous calls to an individual
> > method, but I also hope it will be used just as much for asynchronous
> > message passing that may or may not invoke one or more actions on the
> > receiving end.
>
> I totally understand this -- SOAP had benefits and plain HTTP has benefits.
> That's not the question. The question is what is the XP's position on the
> issue.

See http://www.w3.org/2000/09/XML-Protocol-Charter

My reading of that says that we do both.

> Pretty much, yeah. But also the fact that most SOAP implementations live at
> a specific URI. While SOAP may be able to be sent in many different ways,
> the fact of the matter is its generally being done using POSTs to a single
> URI receiver.
>
> Many folks feel this is wrong. What does the WG feel?

Well, as long as SOAP is used to cleanly *extend* POST semantics, is
there a problem with it not having a GET binding?  I understand your
point, but sometimes POST *is* the right answer.

MB