RE: text/xml for SOAP (and XP) considered harmful

I don't agree.

corresponding MIME part to the XML parser within the service.

The XML parser is -- by design ! -- perfectly able to decipher
the contents of the text/xml and take the appropriate action.

If the content isn't one the service understands, labeling it
any way other than text/xml won't change that.

If the content is compressed it must have a corresponding
Content-encoding or it is just garbage.

Content-type has a simple job.  Let's keep it that way.

John.

At 01:40 PM 2/28/2001 -0700, Narahari,  Sateesh wrote:
>I think the key point here is Simple "Object Access" Protocol. If we really
>are accessing an object, then why are we saying it is text?.
>
>text/xml is such a generic one, what if its XML-RPC or
>"my-own-xml-on-the-wire-in-the-format-we-define-dotcom" ?.
>
>Also is there any guarantee that XML is always going to be "text" on the
>wire, what if the payload is compressed?.
>
>I too consider text/xml to be harmful, in terms of future extensibility and
>potentially future protocols that may just be text based and XML.
>
>Sateesh

John J. Barton          email:  John_Barton@hpl.hp.com
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/John_Barton/index.htm
MS 1U-17  Hewlett-Packard Labs
1501 Page Mill Road              phone: (650)-236-2888
Palo Alto CA  94304-1126         FAX:   (650)-857-5100