Re: [xml-rpc] Re: Heads up: A key difference between SOAP and XML-RPC

Kurt, I totally agree, we made the transition to named params in Frontier in 1994, but our wire protocol code didn't get them until last week. I totally agree, you gotta have optional params with names if you ever want to be able to add a param to a routine. Otherwise you go crazy. The purpose of this post was to document the difference betw SOAP and XML-RPC, without a doubt other developers are going to have to make this transition, if they haven't already. A different philosophy on the wire. It's OK. ;-> Dave
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: cagle@olywa.net
  To: Dave Winer
  Cc: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com ; xml-rpc@yahoogroups.com ; xml-dist-app@w3.org
  Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2001 2:29 PM
  Subject: [xml-rpc] Re: Heads up: A key difference between SOAP and XML-RPC

  Dave,

  I've found that in general, named parameters are more powerful for processing than ordered ones, especially once you start getting into default states. Ordered parameters make more sense in procedural languages which are order-centric, but even there it's only because we've adopted the general syntax fn(arg1,arg2,arg3) rather than fn(prop1=arg1,prop2=arg2, prop3=arg3). I've been pushing the notion in my XSLT classes that you can use XSLT as a SOAP processing engine, and in that case, the named parameterization makes a great deal more sense.

  -- Kurt