From: "Larry Cable" <larry.cable@sfbay.sun.com>
To: "Andrew Layman" <andrewl@microsoft.com>
Cc: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2001 8:58 AM
Subject: Re: Announce: A brief history of SOAP

: Andrew Layman wrote:
:
: > If I send you a message such as
: >
: >         <Translate>
: >                 <gamma>123.45</gamma>
: >                 <epsilon>.67</epsilon>
: >                 <pi>3.14159</pi>
: >         </Translate>
: >
: > then you presumably either have somehow got some idea what this message
: > means and what its structure is etc., or you don't and cannot process it
: > (except as generic XML).  However you got the knowledge, that was the
: > metadata.
: >
: > In the case of the messages sent to the "SOAP Validator" at UserLand's
: > site, the documentation describing the messages is the metadata.
: >
: > I don't think you can do much without some metadata.  The only issue is
: > the form that the metadata takes, largely whether it is in a standard
: > form or not.
:
: I concur, furthermore I would reinforce your assertion that a std
mechanism
: for describing such meta-data
: is a "requirement" in order to enable both static and dynamic service
: discovery and subsequent conversations.
:
: Rgds
:
: - Larry Cable.