Re: DR 122: Mapping issues

Yves Lafon wrote:

> Well, it is not exactly a dup, as an outcome of this requirement is << WG may
> consider issue a warning about the possible problems of reusing non-safe
> "transports">>
> Also work on the HTTP binding will provide the right warnings to address this
> DR. (So I am for keeping it :) )

Point taken. What about the following (revised) text?

     The XML Protocol WG anticipates that mapping XP onto existing
     application layer protocols, such as SMTP, may lead to scalability and
     security problems, or even semantic complications (in particular when
     the application semantics defined by those protocols interfere with
     the semantics defined by XP). The WG may thus issue a warning
     accordingly.

> Also, we don't know if people will want in the future to start another
> binding (although it is quite unlikely).

Isn't this is covered already by the revised DR 121 ?

     The XML Protocol WG recognizes that a number of XML messaging
     proposals use protocols other than HTTP, for example SMTP or BEEP.
     Although the WG encourages individuals and organisations to develop
     such bindings for XP, it will only provide a binding for HTTP
     initially.

Or would you prefer to add the last sentence from DR 122 at the end of this
text?

     , unless enough interest is shown by WG members to develop other
     bindings, and enough time is available for that work.

Jean-Jacques.