Octet Strings and utf-8

"LeVan,Ralph" wrote:

> Since all the clients I talk to send me their terms in the general option,
> and since I must somehow interpret the bytes in that field, I have to do a
> conversion anyway.  So, why shouldn't the UTF-8 negotiation apply?

Because the character set negotiation definition explicity applies to
InternationalString only.  If you arbitrarily decide that a particular
octetString type should be affected, well then what about for example the
referenceId?  Is that subject to utf-8 negotiation?  "What a silly question",
you say, "the reference id is binary". Well don't forget, the term can be
binary too.  How do you decide whether a given octet string is binary or
character?

--Ray