RE: Retrieving XML

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Matthew Dovey wrote:

> > Not necessarily. If people don't want to support on-the-fly style
> > they can use the URI as a string identifier in the same way as they
> > use XPATH as a string identifier.

> But then we need to know what stylesheets a server supports in advance.
> The URI is now little more that element set name such as we already a
> have with B, F etc. (as in section 3.6.2 of the 1995 doc.). Since an

Yes. ___If people don't want to do on the fly transformation___, then we
don't gain a lot. But if they don't want to do on the fly transformation,
then they're not going to support the XSL in CompSpec either so you're not
losing anything.

At least with the URI you give people the chance to go half way and
support the XSL by a direct transformation of their internal data as
opposed to simply ignoring it altogether.

Rob

--
      ,'/:.          Rob Sanderson (azaroth@liverpool.ac.uk)
I L L U M I N A T I