RE: ZNG: "Z39.50 Next Generation"

Z39.50 Classic is NOT going away!!!

There are no babies being thrown away and we're keeping all that nasty
bathwater we've been accumulating over the years.  But, we are making a new
tub that the baby can be washed in.  One with slightly cleaner water that
won't require hydraulic engineers to open the taps.

Z39.50 in ASN.1/BER over raw tcp/ip will be with us for decades.  We'll all
continue to make a little consulting money on the side explaining how to use
it.  We'll all continue to watch the rest of the world turn their noses up
at it.

It's that last point that really gripes me.  We've got a great standard and
few people outside the library community want to use it.  The need for it is
great and it certainly gets looked at; nearly everyone in the information
retrieval industry knows what it is and they know why they don't want to use
it.

ZNG is an attempt to take the strengths of Z39.50 and move them to a vehicle
that is acceptable to the rest of the world (I hope.)  It is an experiment.
It is not complete.  It is not the end of Z39.50 Classic.

Ralph