Re: One more pagination trouble

At 13:40 2002 10 28 -0500, G. Ken Holman wrote:

>At 2002-10-28 17:59 +0000, Kiki AMEDJA wrote:
>>I want the first page of each chapter to be odd even if i will have to insert some blank pages sometimes.
>
>Two ways:
>
> - force-page-count="even" on the given chapter
> - initial-page-number="auto-odd" on the following chapter
>
>Since you seem to only have chapters, either one of the above will suffice if you are starting on page 1 (which of course is odd parity).

I hestitate to say this, since Ken is almost always correct.
So maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

But if you want the first page of the each chapter to be odd,
then you really want to use initial-page-number="auto-odd"
on each chapter (not following chapter).

The only way force-page-count would be useful is if you
could guarantee that the first chapter started on an odd
page and then you set force-page-count="even" on each
chapter and you knew there were nothing else but chapters,
so you would "accidentally" get all chapters starting on
an odd page.

The XSL WG developed force-page-count for the rare cases
someone really needed to have a given parity of pages
in a page-sequence regardless of what parity the first
page number was.  It was not designed to get initial
odd (or even) pages on page sequences.  That's what
initial-page-number is for.  Standing on your head to
misuse force-page-count to kludge yourself into getting
the correct parity on your initial pages seems like
bad design to me.

Also note that initial-page-number is a basic property
that must be implemented by all implementations and
force-page-count is an extended property.

paul