Re: unresolved MPEG-7 queries/issues

Jane Hunter <jane@dstc.edu.au> writes:

> I'm resending four questions which I sent in an earlier email
>
> (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-schema-comments/2001JanMar/
> 0000.html)
>
> which remain unanswered. I'd appreciate your advice.

Sorry you haven't gotten official replies, probably my fault.

> -----------------------------
> 1. Global attributes
>
> When referring to a global attribute whilst declaring a local
> attribute,
> can you modify its "use" attribute value and expect this to overwrite
> the
> original value?
>
> Ex:
>
> <attribute name="myAtt" type="integer"/>
>
> <complexType>
>    <!-- can we expect the default value, 0, is specified
>         in the following local attribute? -->
>     <attribute ref="myAtt" use="default" value="0"/>
> </complexType>

Yes, you will be able to do this, we made a change.  There will be a
small change in the concrete syntax:

 <attribute name="myAtt" type="integer"/>

 <complexType>
    <!-- can we expect the default value, 0, is specified
         in the following local attribute? -->
     <attribute ref="myAtt" default="0"/>
 </complexType>

> 2. Root Elements
>
> Is there a recommended way to specify a root element amongst global
> elements in an instance document ?

There will be a change to make explicit that this can be a part of
initial schema assessment invocation.

> 3. Is it possible to derive an abstract complexType from a non-abstract
> complexType?

Yes.  It's slightly odd, but it's allowed.

> 4. Using derivation by restriction, can we change the content model
> of a group from choice[0,n] to sequence?

Yes, see [1], where it says "NOTE: This case allows the "unfolding" of
iterated disjunctions into sequences. It may be particularly useful
when the disjunction is an implicit one arising from the use of
substitution groups."

ht

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#rcase-MapAndSum