Re: Attribute remapping support in XML Schemas

From: Martin Gudgin <marting@develop.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 22:54:45 -0400
To: <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>
The way I read the namespace rec unprefixed attributes are *always* locally
scoped by their containing element. The only way to have a global attribute
is to give it a prefix. So assuming a namespace decl for prefix x1;

    <x1:foo bar='somevalue' x1:bar='somevalue'/>
    <x1:quux bar='somevalue' x1:bar='somevalue'/>

x1:bar is the same attribute in both cases, has the same meaning etc etc.
The bar attribute in x1:foo is not the same as the bar attribute in x1:quux.
So the two unprefixed bar attributes could have completely different meaning
dependant on whether they are scoped by x1:foo or x1:quux.

Are you asking that XML Schema override the namespace rec by providing a way
to specify that an unprefixed attribute is in some explicit namespace rather
than being locally scoped by the containing element?

I don't think this is a good idea as it means that the namespace of an
attribute could potentially change based purely on whether a given instance
document was validated against a schema or not.

What am I missing here?

Martin Gudgin
DevelopMentor

(also speaking for myself)