RE: fragment identifiers and media types (was RE: XPointerconsidered incomprehensible)

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 13:59 -0400, Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)
wrote:
[...]
> > The meaning of *every* URI in the web is, practically,
> > connected to protocol messages involving that URI, and pretty
> > much all the Web protocols use MIME types somehow.
>
> Protocol messages may be used in the process of determining the meaning,
> but there is a difference between the meaning being determined by the
> content of the retrieved message versus the mere fact of retrieval.  In
> determining the meaning of http://simonstl.com/#news , if a GET on
> http://simonstl.com/ returns a 200 OK and an HTML document, the mere
> fact of retrieval indicates that http://simonstl.com/#news identifies a
> location within an HTML document.  It therefore cannot, for example,
> identify a person or a dog.

So don't publish an HTML document there if you want to use
it to identify a Dog.

Or interpret the HTML spec more liberally, and perhaps get it
changed.

Simon's point of order is well made. I don't see anything new
in what you're saying nor in what I'm saying. For anyone
reading this far who hasn't read the first umpteen iterations
of this production of "Groundhog Day"[1], some relevant open
TAG issues are:

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#RDFinXHTML-35
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#fragmentInXML-28
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#abstractComponentRefs-37

[1] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107048/

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E