Re: XLink 1.1: Integration with CSS

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 10:07:23AM +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> Dear XML Core Working Group,
>
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xlink11-20050707/ is unclear about
> how it integrates with CSS, e.g., it is unclear how the attributes
> affect which elements match the CSS :link selector. Please change
> the draft such that this is well-defined.

  The CSS spec is the one defining what part of the document it applies to.
It seems to me
  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/selector.html#link-pseudo-classes

simply uses "link" without specifying the kind of links on purpose to
be as generic as possible and hence applies to XLink based links. I suggest
any issue about the definition of links matched by CSS selector ":link"
(and :visited) be brought back to the CSS working group.

In general is sounds unwise to try to add to XLink behaviour expectations
about all the upper layers which may interract with XLink defined linking
constructs. The level of recognition an processing applied by other layers
can't be put within XLink, it would make XLink conflict with the specification
of those application layers or the evolution of them over time.

Daniel

daniel@veillard.com  | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/
http://veillard.com/ |