Re: Broken fragment identifiers in the XKMS draft

Phill is working on this.  Should have a drop to Jose with the latest
fixes regards to broken fragments soon - today or tomorrow.

Phill, please run tidy on the generated document and the validator to
make sure that it is valid.

thanks

/Shivaram

Jose Kahan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm continuing the work to prepare the drafts for publication.
> After fixing the XHTML errors and adding the headers as requested
> by the pubrules, I ran the link checker.
>
> There are some external link errors, and many many other errors
> concerning link fragments.
>
> Most notable cases:
>
> - Many links (not sure if all) say www.w3c.org. This should be www.w3.org.
> - The link to WSDL 1.1 specification is now  http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl/
>
> The worst ones are the broken link fragments. There are just too many
> of them. I'm unable to say how to fix many of them. For example,
> there's one called #Acknowledgments (line 99), but the actual
> fragment has an internal ID: <a href="#XKMS2_0_LC1_Section_1_2">
>
> There are over 40 broken fragment identifiers[1]. Some of these are used
> to refer to part 1 from part 2. I don't know if we should keep the
> same reference throughout or have it evolve with each new version of the
> spec.
>
> What I know is that fixing those fragment identifiers requires lots of
> work. I already invested some in making it valid XHTML.
>
> However, I feel that this effort is wasted if these changes are not
> reflected in the source that Phil uses to generate the XHTML files and
> this has to be done once over again next time that these files
> are regenerated.
>
> Couldn't it be possible to make the changes directly into the source
> and then making the XHTML again? Is it possible to have access to that
> file and those scripts Phil?
>
> Even better, if it's a script error that makes those broken links,
> it would be good to fix them!
>
> Thanks for your feedback,
>
> -jose

Shivaram H. Mysore <shivaram.mysore@sun.com>

Software Engineer                   Co-Chair, W3C's XKMS WG
Java Card Engineering               http://www.w3.org/2001/XKMS
JavaSoft, Sun Microsystems Inc.

Direct: (408)276-7524
Fax:    (408)276-7674