Re: Proposed issue; Visibility of Web services

Hi,

There was a long discussion about the relative "visibility" of HTTP vs
SOAP. There seemed to be a tendency to believe that HTTP GET was the
most "visible" of all.

Now any SOAP message can be encoded as a HTTP GET, with "?" and "&"s.

Here's one way. Make XPath expressions for all the content in the SOAP
message, for example:

soap:Envelope/soap:Body/m:GetStockPrice/m:StockName

URL encode these expressions (not shown here). Then make a parameter:

soap:Envelope/soap:Body/m:GetStockPrice/m:StockName=IBM

Then string all the parameters together with ampersands.

This (with a few more tricks for namespace definitions and attributes)
is a linear encoding of all of the information in the SOAP message into
a GET request. No more and no less. So how can it be claimed that there
is a difference in "visibility" between the two?

Jeff