Re: DAML-S input

Dickinson, Ian J wrote:

>David -
>Thanks for your comments. I'm very reassured that you're intending to open
>up the technical discussions, and that there aren't any IP barriers to
>adopting DAML-S technology.  We've just completed four days of very
>interesting and productive discussion around DAML-S and semantic web
>services in general, with participation from various HPL project teams and
>Marta Sabou from Vrije University Amsterdam.  We hope to write up interim
>results in the near future, although the August holiday season will have
>some impact.
>
>One other question, if you don't mind: what's the nature of the relationship
>between the DAML-S consortium and the SWSI Language initiative?  I notice
>that many, though not all, of the individuals concerned are on both bodies.
>Is SWSI-L intended to subsume DAML-S, or are they in some way independent of
>each other?

This is still somewhat of an open question.  In general, the idea is for
SWSI-L to take DAML-S/OWL-S as a primary input, retaining and refining
it, but also learning from its weaknesses.  That is, it will take (is
taking) a fresh look at all the issues, and will build on OWL-S to the
extent that seems advantageous, but will deviate from OWL-S in the areas
where it seems important to do so.  In the meantime, the DAML-S
Coalition has an incentive to continue to strengthen DAML-S/OWL-S as
much as possible so that SWSI-L will retain more of it.

Regards,
David