RE: Testcases for HTTP location grammar [CR130]

I think the parser need to have a stack for braces - I don't believe even a state machine can hold all the information we need - when we match up a pair we need to know what our state was before we opened that pair. My sketch of the processing would go:

if the next character is {
a. if previous character was { and top of stack is { then change top of stack to {{
b. otherwise stack {  (remembering where it was seen)

if the next character is }
a. if top of stack is {{ look for another } immediately following
    i. if next char is }, unstack the {{  - we have a matching pair  {{}}
    ii. if next char is not }, throw error or treat as literal }
b. if top of stack is {, unstack the {  - we have a matching pair {}
c. if stack is empty, throw error or treat as literal }

at the end, the stack should be empty, assuming all { matched }, otherwise unstack the extras and treat as literals (which is why we remembered their locations)

To put it into words, I see } or }} as matching to the nearest unpaired { or {{, but always respecting nesting. I also see longer sequences of { taken as pairs until there's one or none left.

So to my mind {{{{X}}}} parses as {{  {{  X  }}  }}  - even though that's a questionable construct.  Or do we want to add another rule saying that {{ cannot be nested inside {{ ?

How does that sound?

Tony Rogers
CA, Inc
Senior Architect, Development