Re[2]: Testcases for HTTP location grammar [CR130]

When deciding on the grammar, please consider a method that would not restrict the possible content of the processed result in any way.

With John's town=Paris example (quoted near the end of this mail):

- inner-most pair first method:
  There is no way of writing "{town}" or "{randomstring}" as any matching braces will be tried for expansion.
- double braces first method:
  There is no way of writing "Paris}" as the closing brace of "{town}" would be matched to a following "}".

And regarding Tony's method with the stacking:

- Does "{{" have to be stacked? Double braces do not have to come in pairs.
- Similar to the above, should a lone "}}" without an opening equivalent be really treated as an error? Input like "/foo}}bar" is pretty legal.
- How would "{coun{town}try}" be parsed? This should be illegal input.
- If nested braces are not allowed, why is the stack necessary? Could its use be avoided if mismatched braces are treated as errors?

To me (if worth anything) left-to-right greedy parsing sounds like the obvious approach but as John mentioned it is "not as simple as 'looking for...'". It is very likely that I am overlooking something.

John, could you please ellaborate on your statement?

Of course, when I say "left-to-right greedy parsing" I assume the following:
- Nested braces are not allowed
- The parsing is performed from the left to the right. Therefore:
  - If a "{" is encountered, it is considered to be either of the following (in this order)
    1) an error if a "{" has already been encountered (and is not the previous character)
    2) the first or second of two braces "{{"
    3) an opening brace
  - If a "}" is encountered, it is considered to be either of the following (in this order)
    1) a match for a previous "{"
    2) the first or second of double braces "}}"
    3) an error (no matching opening brace)
So, "{{{town}" and "{town}}}" are O.K. but "{town{{}" is invalid (the brace after the "n" is illegal).

I am starting to have the feeling that using a backslash to escape literal braces would have been less confusing...

--
Best regards,
Georgi Georgiev