From: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-desc-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Arthur Ryman
Sent: Friday, 2 June 2006 8:00
To: Roberto Chinnici
Cc: Jacek Kopecky; www-ws-desc@w3.org; www-ws-desc-request@w3.org
Subject: Re: Parts 1 and 2 Treat Defaults Inconsistently with Eachother

Roberto,

Dropping the {... default} suffix is interesting. This is like the
scoping rules for F & P.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca

Roberto Chinnici <Roberto.Chinnici@Sun.COM>
Sent by: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org

05/31/2006 01:34 PM

Jacek Kopecky <jacek.kopecky@deri.org>
cc
Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, www-ws-desc@w3.org
Subject
Re: Parts 1 and 2 Treat Defaults Inconsistently with Eachother

Jacek explained nicely why there is no {style default} property.
Since there is no need for it, I'm against adding one just for the sake
of having the component model mimic the overt syntax.

He also explained why we do have rules in part 2 that are applied
when the binding is used, rather than at component model construction
time: not all operations in an interface need to be bound. It seems
pointless then to force those properties to appear when a binding
operation is present, since that won't result in any simplification
of the rules in the spec.

Perhaps the reason for the {... default} properties in part 2 would
become clearer if we renamed them by dropping the " default" suffix.
Then we'd have e.g. a {soap mep} property at the binding level and
a {soap mep} at the binding operation level, and the rules would
look like plain old overriding rather than applying a default.

Thanks,
Roberto