From: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org on behalf of David Orchard
Sent: Wed 6/22/2005 2:08 PM
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org
Subject: LC124 Text

My proposal for the text for the definition of the "ignoreUnknown" property, in whatever solution form we end up choosing, is:

The "ignoreUnknown" property set to "true" indicates that a processor should not fault when processing messages that contain _unexpected items_.  _Unexpected items_ are attributes and elements not defined by the schema for a particular element.  _Unexpected items_ may appear in any namespace including the targetNamespace of a known schema, as well as in a namespace for which no schema is currently known.  _Unexpected items_ includes the descendents of the item, such any child elements, attributes and content.

Note: one mechanism for accomplishing this is to validate a message after content that is not known has been removed.  The unknown content may be identified by a W3C XML Schema processor.  The [validity] property in the Post Schema-Validation Infoset will contain a "notKnown" value if unknown content is found.

Cheers,

Dave